I am NOT one to get attached to animals. Really. I never have been. My mom will tell you I was a doll playing, friend loving regular little girl when I was young and yet I never developed a love for animals like some of my other friends. I was always allergic to cats and my sister made me fear dogs (she may not even know this story and will be surprised by the comment).
So...it came to surprise me how much I have grown attached to our little dog Benny.
Benny was 9 when he came to live with us. He had not been around people much because his life started out in a whirlwind of celebrity. He was born as a registered Miniature Pinscher (his little tattoo proved it) and right away, we understand, he was groomed for doing shows. He then moved on to breeding and was in demand for much of his life.
He came to us shortly after his 'magic' wore off. In fact, they were going to put him down because he was not of 'use' anymore. A friend of ours ran a rescue operation for dogs such as this and we decided to babysit him one weekend to see if he was friendly with children.
He never left.
Until yesterday.
Benny developed a terribly aggressive cyst on his head that ruptured within a week. He was in a little bit of pain. His heart rate was erratic and so was his breathing a bit. We knew we wouldn't be able to financially do what it took to bring him back to health in his already 11th year of life.
I was surprised that I cried, yet glad that I did. Glad to know that he left his little paw print of love on our hearts so much. Glad that he won't be easily forgotten.
Bye Bye Benny.

2 comments:

Karin September 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Hi hon, I wrote a little post for him and linked yours to mine. Lots of hugs to you all!

Angela September 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

It's amazing how much of an influence these little creatures have on us. I still mostly refuse to acknowledge that I love Milo, but I suppose deep down, I do. I think I'll miss him when he's gone.
Benny sure was an interesting dog... in so many ways he was the opposite of Milo. I'm so glad for him that he got to experience life and love with your family. His "little paw prints of love" (cute!) will linger for a long time.

About this blog

Followers