bathroom reality

Usually when I see graffiti on a bathroom wall I expect to see crude humor, phone numbers, initials in hearts...that kind of thing, right?
Well today I saw this:

Guilt is what I always feel
But that doesn't change the path I am on.

We currently live in a unique community where, sadly, many (not all, by any means) of our young people are drowning in a culture and 'religion' of hopelessness. Grace is a foreign term. I could write heaps and heaps about the faulty exegesis in their religion...but I'll leave that apologetic rant to someone else.
Could you imagine though, trying to find courage to face the day when every morning you wake up wondering if today is the day you are going to hell? You've spent your young life being given random lists of 'sins' and told that if you falter...there is no hope. You are done for.
You are also taught to not place value in monetary things. A lucrative job. A higher education. Seeing the world and all its beauty. The pursuit of these things is often viewed as dangerous and evil. It is feared that these things may take the place that God should take in your life. That would leave almost anybody living in a constant state of guilt.
I believe this way of thinking originated with the good intention of keeping people from making poor choices. Keep them from being greedy. Keep them from neglecting family. The 'list of damnable sins' was there to remind children to always be good.

But what then about the absence of grace? What about no forgiveness? What about thwarting hope for a future (here and after)?

I cannot take on a whole culture of people.

I am however, called and able to be a witness. To extend forgiveness. To extend grace. To show evidence of the hope I have. I am pretty darn blessed to be working in an elementary school where I have opportunity to do this every day. Funny thing...kids always provide you with opportunities to extend grace and forgiveness...LOL!

Now, I just wish I would have been brave and rebellious enough to take my lipstick out of my purse and scrawl 'JESUS SAVES' (good old fashioned 'christian graffiti style) over the quote I read!

3 comments:

Karin June 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

Go back and write on the wall that Jesus is the answer to all the guilt! Excellent post!

Karen June 11, 2010 at 6:40 AM  

I agree...great post! So nice to meet you...I came over from your mom's blog...

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life June 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Found your link over at Karin's.... intrigued about the writing on the wall.....

I see you like similar holidays experiences... Radium, driving towards the mountains, Banff, Fresh BC fruit.......

Enjoy your holiday..... no wasting time that you only have a week..... I'm asking Him to make it feel like two!

About this blog

Followers